About Public Health
New Hanover County Public Health, a department of New Hanover County Health and Human Services, works closely with community partners and agencies, including the local hospital, to ensure that the health and safety of New Hanover County is the priority.
NHC Public Health uses the 10 Essential Public Health Services framework to protect, promote and assure the health of all people living in New Hanover County.
Health Services and Programs
The Health Department offers a variety of services and programs including:
- Family Planning Services
- Immunizations for Children and Adults
- Well Child Health Care
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Infections
- HIV Testing and Counseling
- Breast Cancer and Cervical Cancer Program (BCCCP)
- Laboratory Services
- Dental Health Services
- Pregnancy and Child Care Management
- Tuberculosis Control
- Communicable Disease Control
- Women's Infant and Children's (WIC) Program and Nutrition Services
- Vital Records (Birth and Death Certificates)
- Environmental Health Services
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness
- Health Education and Promotion
- Healthy Opportunities Program
New Hanover County Health & Human Services defines health equity as a fair and just opportunity to pursue optimal health for all members of our communities. Health equity is achieved when every person can attain their full health potential through personal commitment, work, and perseverance while obstacles such as social determinants of health are addressed, minimized, or eliminated.